When setup by EduTech, the built-in Schooltool Application Programming Interface (API), can be used by vendors to securely connect to data that resides in Schooltool for the purposes of sharing data in Schooltool with that vendor.
If your school uses an application that is "API Capable" and you wish to connect it to Schooltool, you can submit the following form to engage EduTech and to get the process started of connecting Schooltool to that application via API: https://www.edutech.org/resources/student-systems/...
Q: At what time of year does the Schooltool API start revealing next school years data to systems connected to it?
On July 1st each school year, any data that exists in Schooltool for the NEXT school year will automatically be shared via the Schooltool API. In fact, there's no way to stop this from being the case currently (things like whether a schedule is locked, or if there's a schedule publish date in place, are completely ignored by the Schooltool API).
So that means on July 1st regardless of if the schedule for a given building is locked or if there's a schedule publish date in place, should any of the following data elements already be created in Schooltool for the NEW school year, they will automatically be visible to any of the systems that you've connected to the Schooltool API on July 1st:
- Student Data for students with Active Enrollments for the NEW School Year
- Student Schedules for Students Actively Enrolled (Rostered) in Courses for the NEW School Year
- Faculty Records for Staff Actively Assigned to Courses being offered in the NEW School Year
Q: All of the information above makes sense, but I'm still not seeing all of the data for the NEW School Year that I would expect to see in the system that's been connected to the Schooltool API. What's wrong?
In order for any of the data listed above to be revealed to your system via the Schooltool API, the following must also be true:
- Faculty Data is only revealed via the Schooltool API if and only if the faculty is actively assigned as a teacher to a course - there is currently no way of revealing data for other staff in Schooltool via it's API.
- Terms in Schooltool Must have been Setup for the NEW year and Building in Question - click Maintenance>School Year>Configuration and be sure to use the "Building" and "School Level" fields to make sure that terms are setup for EVERY building that you wish to have data shared via the Schooltool API.
- A schedule in Schooltool for the NEW year and building in question Must have been Setup - click Scheduling>Master Schedule and then select the appropriate building and school year to confirm that an "Active Master Schedule" appears
**Hint: If you aren't able to select the NEW school year when performing this check, that means that either no new schedule has been created by your school's Scheduling Team, or that no Terms were setup for the NEW school year as described in the previous bullet.
- Sections Must have been created in Schooltool within the Master Schedule for the building in question - click Scheduling>Master Schedule, then select the appropriate building and school year, and after clicking the "Reports" tab, select the "Course Section View" report to see a list of the sections that have been created for each course in the schedule as illustrated below:
- Sections Must have students enrolled (actively rostered) into them within the Master Schedule for the building in question - once you've opened the "Course Section View" in Schooltool, click the "Down Arrows" to the left of each course to expand the course and view it's sections:
**IMPORTANT: Course sections with ZERO placements (no students rostered into them), are NOT revealed via the Schooltool API to systems connected to it, but instead are omitted/hidden until students are actively rostered into them, as detailed below
Some Examples:Example 1: The course below has ZERO (no) students enrolled in any of the sections created for it, so the Schooltool API will reveal nothing about this course to systems that are connected to it.
Example 2: The course below has several students enrolled into some sections that have been created for it, so in this case the Schooltool API will reveal only those sections that have students actively enrolled in them (Sections 1 and 2). Sections 3 through 5 will be omitted/hidden until students are actively rostered into them.