This article explains the process for managing phone numbers assigned to individual person records, including setting their type, and priority.
For many schools, the type and priority of phone numbers assigned to individuals, defines the order in which ancillary phone systems will call the person.
- If the Cell Phone is listed as Rank 1, then when the person is called with a general message their cell phone may be called first as it is considered the individuals "Primary Phone"
- If the Home Phone is listed as Rank 1, then when the person is called to report that their student is absent, then only the home phone may be called as it is considered the "Primary Phone" when set as Rank 1
- Navigate to the Census Module and perform a search for and open the record of the person that you wish to modify phone number types and/or priorities for
- <== Click the "Edit" button that appears in the top
right corner of the person record as illustrated below - the upper portion of the record will open in edit-mode allowing you to edit fields that you have been granted permission to edit
- Scroll down the screen if needed and locate the "Phones" section illustrated below
- Depending on what you wish to accomplish, perform any or all of the following steps:
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Rank (Column 4) Use the fields in this column to identify the "Type" for the phone number (e.g. Cell, Home, Work)
**Hint: Setting these accurately will ensure that any automated ancillary phone dialers know exactly what types of phones they are calling or texting depending on the rules setup by your school in that system when calls are made (e.g. for emergency messages, your school may setup a rule to have the dialer call and text all cell phones first).
Use the fields in this column to edit or enter the phone number - be sure to include an area code when entering phone numbers
**Hint: The field will turn green when the phone number you entered is acceptable and in the correct/desired format
Use the fields in this column when they appear to add an extension and to indicate if the phone is listed or not.**Hint: If you leave "Is Listed" unchecked you are indicating that the number should be considered a private number. Use the fields in this column to identify the order in which phone numbers should be called.
**Hint: Phones set as "Priority 1" are considered in all cases the person's "Primary Phone". "Primary Phones" in most situations are also considered by automated ancillary phone dialers as the "Attendance Phone" - meaning it is used in situations where the school wishes to have the dialer call a contact when a student is absent from school, regardless of the type of phone it is.
- <== To add a New Phone Number click the "Add" button to the top right of the phones area, and then be sure to use the information above to enter the number properly and to assign the number to a type and priority
- <== To delete an Existing Phone Number click the "Delete" button that appears to the left of the phone number itself