The steps in this article cover the process of configuring pass/fail courses so that later, when data for the course is transmitted to NY State via the Student Class Grades Detail Extract, the proper numeric equivalency of a "Pass" (e.g. a 100) or a "Fail" (e.g. a 64) is sent.
This article focuses on the following areas:
**IMPORTANT: changes you make to courses in THIS school year, will not be automatically carried forward into NEXT school year. You must repeat the steps below for courses in the NEXT school year, if one exists, even if the new school year has not yet started.
- Open or create the course you wish to configure as "Pass/Fail" just like you would any other course
**Hint: If you are creating a new course, and never have before or need guidance,
read this article before continuing: https://www.edutech.org/resources/student-systems/...
- Click the courses "Grading Tasks" tab
- Add or Edit the courses "Final Grade" grading task (sometimes called "Final Mark")
- **IMPORTANT** On the "Final Grade" Grading Task screen, modify the "Score Group" field so that it displays the following value:
- Leave the "Default Grade Book Task" set as it is - typically this box is UN-Checked:
- Leave the "Term GPA" field blank
- Modify or Enter a value into the "Credit" field using the following as a guide:
If when a student receives a "Pass" for this course, they should:
- A) Have credit added to their "Total Credits Earned" as counted on their transcript, enter the actual number of credits that should be added, directly into the "Credit" field
- B) NOT have credit added to their "Total Credits Earned" as counted on their transcript, enter a ZERO (0) directly into the "Credit" field
**Hint: Students who receive a "Fail" in the course do not receive credit for the course by default.
- Confirm that the "Credit Type" field is set to a value which represents the type of course you are working with, or if there is a value already in this field, leave it as is:
- Confirm that the "Term Mask" area is set properly
**Note: Given that this is a final grading task you are working with, typically only the last term would be checked for courses that run the entire year. However, in situations where different sections of the course may end at different terms, the term mask may need more than one term checked.
For Example: Section 1 of the course runs only in the first Semester (MP1 and MP2), while Section 2 runs only in the second Semester (MP3 and MP4). For a course where these two sections exist, BOTH Term 2 and Term 4 would need to be checked in the term mask, to accommodate for both sections of the course having a "Final Mark" required in Term 2 and Term 4 for each section separately.
- Confirm that the "Active Mask" area is set properly
**Note: Typically none of the checkboxes in this area are checked, unless a grade submission period for your school is actively open, or you are in the process of manually entering grades for JUST the Final Grade grading task for this course.
- Click the "Save" button to save your changes
- Repeat the steps in this article for:
- Any remaining "Pass/Fail" courses offered at your school
- For any courses already setup in the NEXT school year - changes you make in THIS school year, will not be automatically carried forward into NEXT school year.
**This area will be updated when more information is available.